Great, Now What do I do with all this Wool?


   On May 18th of this year I made one of the biggest and most important decisions of my life to
date... I went Vegan.


  Yes on that day that I swore that I would do my best to limit my part in the senseless and unnecessary torture and exploitation of animals to the best of my abilities. This includes but is not limited to eating their flesh, drinking their secretions, and wearing their skin or fur. What does this mean for me as a knitter?


   For many years we humans have relied on animals and insects such as sheep, alpacas, rabbits, silkworms and more to provide wool, silk, fleece and lapin to protect us from the elements. As humans advance and begin to formulate cheaper, exploitation free, and more readily available materials to provide warmth, these animal products become less and less of a necessity to the point of becoming more of a novelty, prize, or measure of wealth.

Furs were once a sign of wealth


  As someone who knits I once saw the value in collecting their furs and silks and using them for my personal entertainment but I now know the error of my ways and have made a conscious decision to no longer purchase items made by or of animals. The question now is, what do I do with all of this wool? Do I throw it away? Do I sell it? Or do I use it? What do you think would be the least destructive way to rid my stash of materials that I no longer have a desire to keep? My answer may surprise you.

A small portion of the wool and wool blends I've accumulated over the years


 This topic has been on my mind for about a week now. I had been living away from home for a while and hadn't done much knitting so wool never really crossed my mind (synthetics have always been gentler on my sensitive skin anyway). A few weeks after moving back home I began to incorporate my crafts back into my everyday life and I realized that I had quite a stash of wool and wool blends and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what would be the right thing to do with it. I found myself remembering the Native Americans and why I valued them so much. Even before I was interested in animal welfare I remember admiring them for never over hunting and for always using every bit of the animal as not to waste.
Wool Sweaters

  Would throwing it away solve anything? No it would be wasteful and impractical. Would selling it solve anything? No, It would just boost the market. As someone who believes in preventing animal exploitation for my own personal gain what would I look like selling wool for profit? What now? To me the answer is clear. I am going to use it. I am going to mimic the wise natives of this land. I can't undo what has been done to the sheep and wasting solves nothing. I plan on knitting gifts or donating the items I knit with the wool and after that I will begin with a clean slate. Only cotton, hemp, bamboo, acrylic, polyester and nylon for me. I will still have plenty of options and I'm sure that the animals and my wallet will be grateful that I made this connection.

1/100th of my acrylic collection


  I do not believe in causing harm or distress to any living beings, including humans. I will never bully or support the bullying of anyone because they don't choose to live their lives the way I have chosen to live mine and I would appreciate that same respect in return for me or anyone who may choose to share their thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Click here to read one of my favorite bloggers' (Solanah of "Vixen Vintage") opinion on wearing old fox stoles, do you agree? Share your thoughts.

Lots Of Love!











P.S. Follow me on Instagram for more pictures of delicious vegan food!












   Sources:

  • http://www.animalequality.net/veganism (Clothing and Furnishings)
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpaca
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_hair
  • http://www.vixen-vintage.com/2011/01/why-i-wear-fox-stoles-and-plastic-rain.html
  • http://imagesofinterest.blogspot.com/ (Image)







No comments