30 Years Later...

      I am so happy to have finally completed a project that is very near and dear to my heart. I didn't start it, but 30 years after it was started I was able to finish it.

     A few months ago my cousin and I
helped my aunt sort through the belongings of her late husband (My Uncle who had recently passed). Sorting through his things was a lot harder than I'd imagined it would be. They were his, They smelled like him and each thing was so full of memories that half the time rather than sorting we were sharing stories of him.



      While going through their bedroom closet my Aunt and I came across a sewing box full of old knitting and sewing supplies and projects that hadn't been touched in almost 30 years. For the first time ever my aunt shared with me that she had tried out knitting years back but never picked up the hobby (which was exciting news to me because as far as I knew I was the only one in my family who knitted).

       We found a few garter stitch swatches including one still on the needles. She gave them to me and as soon as we finished packing and sorting I picked up where she left off, already doubling the swatch in size before leaving her house. I finished it the next day, Deciding that due to the awkward rectangular shape it'd be best folded and seamed into a pouch of some sort.


        I'm not sure why but for some reason I was unable to seam it together. Every time I tried I'd freeze up  and eventually be forced to move on to another project. It wasn't until last night that I was finally able to complete it. I can't describe how I felt. I've always gotten a feeling of accomplishment after completing a project but this time it was extra special.

        It's not much to look at, Just a simple garter stitch pouch, but I am very proud to say that after 30 years I have completed it!



To my Auntie: Thank you for sharing this experience with me, I hope to one day find the kind of love that you found in my Uncle.

To my Uncle: You are loved and missed more than you could possibly know.
Rest in peace!


  
      Thanks For Reading!


2 comments

  1. So it is almost 1 o'clock in the morning and I was sitting here on my bed about to go to sleep and I picked up my phone and I saw that you had posted something, so I decided to look at it. To my surprise it was a beautiful story about Ronnie and myself, I can barely write this because I'm crying so hard. It is probably the most beautiful thing that anyone has said or written to me since Ronnie's death. I was so happy that you were there when I was sorting Ronnie's things out because you really truly cared, and I can tell you really had a sense of love for him and me. I am also so happy that you were able to take that sewing box and finish what I tried to start so many years ago! I love you Denine, and I am so happy that you are part of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means a lot to me that I was able to help you. Often times when someone close to us passes we feel so helpless and alone, I'm glad I was able to take a little bit of that away. I love you both and I always will, I'm so glad you enjoyed the post :D.

      Delete